[Peace-discuss] Congress Votes on SOA/WHINSEC Today!

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 06:48:17 CDT 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: School of the Americas Watch <info at soaw.org>
Date: Jun 20, 2007 7:32 AM
Subject: This is it ! Congress Votes on SOA/WHINSEC Today!

School of the Americas Watch
 www.SOAW.org | 202-234-3440 |

Urgent Action Alert!

June 20, 2007

Congress Votes on a Funding Cut to the SOA/WHINSEC Today and We are
Close to Winning!

 Take Action - Call your Representative to ask her/him to Vote YES on
the SOA/WHINSEC Amendment Now!

 As early as this afternoon, Representatives Jim McGovern of
Massachusetts and John Lewis of Georgia will introduce an amendment to
the Foreign Operations Appropriations bill to cut funding for the
School of the Americas, now called the Western Hemisphere Institute
for Security Cooperation (SOA/WHINSEC)!

  Tomorrow, this weekend, and next week you can relax, but we need you
to make calls and send faxes NOW, even if you have already made a
call.  House Representatives often make decisions based on the volume
of calls, so let's all call our Representatives and even call a few
more!

  The vote will happen today, possibly as late as 9 or 10 p.m. Keep an
eye out for another email from SOA Watch - we'll let you know as soon
as debate begins. You should be able to view or listen to that House
debate on C-Span. (At the bottom of the page, click on "Live Stream")

 It's very important that you continue to contact Congress today
through telephone calls and faxes to let Members know they have
constituents who support human rights and the closing of the SOA/
WHINSEC. See below for a sample script.

  Click here to Email/Fax your Representative Now! It only takes a
minute! (Be sure to click the "Send a Fax" box to have the fax sent)

Call Congress at 202-224-3121 Now!

Please take a few minutes today to call the DC office of your
Representative through the Capitol Hill Switchboard at 202-224-3121.
Ask to speak with the foreign affairs legislative assistant.

Calls to the DC office of your Representative are the most effective
tool to make sure your voice is heard this week, so please take the
time to call your Representative!  We are hearing that the volume of
calls you are making is overloading the House Switchboard number so if
you cannot get through, please call their office directly.  You can
look up their phone number by accessing the  Clerk of the House phone
directory and note that all phone numbers have a "202" area code.
Keep the calls coming and make a call every few hours before the vote
happens on Wednesday afternoon!!!

  Here is a suggested message for you to convey:
"I am calling Representative ________ to urge her/him to vote YES on
the McGovern amendment to the Foreign Operations Appropriations bill.
This amendment is a cut in funding for the School of the Americas/
WHINSEC. New information indicates that WHINSEC has allowed known
human rights abusers to instruct and receive training at the school.
The governments of Costa Rica, Argentina and Uruguay have made public
announcements they will no longer send students to the school, citing
the negative image and history of this institution. Voting YES on this
amendment sends a positive human rights message to Latin America and
will help to improve the U.S. image abroad. As an elected official in
Washington D.C., I hope you will represent me and vote YES on any
amendment in the House that would cut funding for the school."  It's
been a year since our last vote in Congress, and it's the work of so
many people struggling for justice in the Americas that has gotten us
to where we are today. DON'T SLOW DOWN NOW! We are so close.

   For more information, visit the SOA Watch website and the
Legislative Action Index.