[Peace-discuss] Re: CORRECTING My Comment On Iraq Withdrawal Legislation We Might Support

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Thu Mar 8 14:07:18 CST 2007

Carol--

Here's what the Democrat liberals seem to have coalesced around as of today:

	Liberal House Dems Lay Out Proposal To End Iraq War
	By Greg Sargent

Okay, so liberal House Dems have just concluded their press conference
in Washington, where they laid out their preferred approach to ending
the Iraq War.

The crux of what the liberals want is this: Any further funding for the
war, they say, should be earmarked for funding withdrawal of the troops.
The idea is to fund withdrawal, rather than defund the war.

Their proposal was best expressed in this statement by Dem Rep. Barbara
Lee, in which she detailed the amendment she and other liberal House
Dems such as Maxine Waters, Jerrold Nadler, Maurice Hinchey and others
would like to see voted on in the House. Lee read aloud the following:

     "We are here today to discuss our proposal for Congress to fully
fund the safe withdrawal of U.S. troops from Iraq by December 31st, 2007.

     "The American people sent a clear message in November -- they
called on Congress to bring a responsible end to the Bush
administration's failed policy in Iraq, and that is what the Lee
Amendment is designed to do.

     "Let me briefly explain what the Lee Amendment would do.

     "It would require that all funds appropriated for Iraq could be
used only for the following purposes:

     "First, to complete the withdrawal of all US Armed Forces and
military contractors from Iraq by December 31st, 2007.

     "And second, to provide for the protection of those forces and
contractors during the course of that withdrawal.

     "We also clarify that while this would effectively end our military
occupation of Iraq, it does not prohibit or restrict funds from being
used for diplomatic efforts or reconstruction.

     "According to a Gallup poll out this week, 6 in 10 Americans (58
percent) want U.S. troops to be withdrawn within 12 months.

     "This very simple proposal represents where the majority of
Americans are with regard to Iraq, and we are in discussion with our
leadership to consider this proposal in formulating the supplemental."

The text of the Lee amendment is after the jump.

House Dem leaders, meanwhile, should be wrapping up their presser any
minute now. More soon.

The Lee amendment:

     AMENDMENT TO H.R. _____, AS REPORTED

     (SUPPLEMENTAL APPROPRIATIONS, 2007)

     OFFERED BY MS. LEE OF CALIFORNIA

     At the end of the bill (before the short title), insert the following:

     SEC. ___. (a) Funds appropriated for Operation Iraqi Freedom or
otherwise made available to the Department of Defense under any
provision of law may be obligated and expended within the Republic of
Iraq only for the purpose of providing for-

     (1) the continued protection of members of the Armed Forces who are
in Iraq participating in Operation Iraqi Freedom, and Department of
Defense contractor personnel who are in Iraq performing contracts
related to such Operation, pending and during the withdrawal of such
members of the Armed Forces and such contractor personnel; and

     (2) the safe and complete withdrawal from Iraq of all members of
the Armed Forces and contractor personnel described in paragraph (1)
pursuant to a plan that provides for completion of the withdrawal not
later than December 31, 2007.

     (b) Nothing in subsection (a) shall be construed to prohibit or
otherwise restrict the use of funds available to any department or
agency of the United States to carry out diplomatic efforts or social
and economic reconstruction activities in Iraq.

<http://electioncentral.tpmcafe.com/blog/electioncentral/2007/mar/08/
liberal_house_dems_lay_out_proposal_to_end_iraq_war>

Mar 8, 2007 -- 10:58 AM EST