[Peace-discuss] Stop the President from Attacking Iran

Barbara kessel barkes at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 11:51:36 CDT 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Just Foreign Policy <patrick at justforeignpolicy.org>
Date: Mar 12, 2007 10:01 AM
Subject: Stop the President from Attacking Iran
To: barkes at gmail.com

 No War with Iran

Senator Jim Webb has written a bill to prevent the President from
attacking Iran on his own say-so. It has real momentum.

Can you ask your Senators to support this legislation?

Dear Supporter of a Just Foreign Policy,

This month, we have an opportunity to get Congress to slow down moves
toward war with Iran. Senator Jim Webb has introduced a bill to
reassert that the President cannot attack Iran without Congressional
authorization. Can you ask your Senators to support this legislation
against war with Iran?

www.justforeignpolicy.org/involved/nowaroniran.html

This legislation has momentum. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid has
offered his support.1 Senator Webb intends to attach it to a large war
spending bill that the President wants to sign into law.

More and more people in Washington seem to understand the danger of
war with Iran, but the threat is still real. The Administration has
two aircraft carriers off Iran's coast and has been making a public
case for war.

Can you ask your senators to support this legislation to stop the
President from launching an attack on his own say-so?

www.justforeignpolicy.org/involved/nowaroniran.html

The amendment is similar to a resolution introduced by Republican
Representative Walter Jones that thousands of you have asked your
representatives to support. It reasserts that Congress has the sole
power to declare war, so the President cannot attack Iran without
getting explicit permission.

Senator Webb plans to attach his resolution to a spending bill that
will provide almost $100 billion more for the wars in Iraq and
Afghanistan. Hopefully, this bill will not pass, but if it does, it
would better to include strong restrictions on the administration's
war policies. Since the President wants this money, he is unlikely to
veto the legislation.

Please write your Senators now and then pass it on:

www.justforeignpolicy.org/involved/nowaroniran.html

Thanks for all you do for a just foreign policy,

Patrick McElwee, Robert Naiman, and Chelsea Mozen
Just Foreign Policy
www.justforeignpolicy.org

Donation Appeal: We try hard to keep our costs down, but need some
money to continue this work. Can you consider a contribution?
http://www.justforeignpolicy.org/donate.html

1. "Democrats Want Bush To Consult Congress On Iran," Margaret Talev,
McClatchy News, March 02, 2007
 http://www.miamiherald.com/578/story/28701.html

(Our apologies if you did not wish to receive this email. To avoid
receiving such emails in the future, reply with an email with subject
"Unsubscribe Alerts" to patrick at justforeignpolicy.org.)