[Peace-discuss] Civil War

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Thu Mar 15 20:39:39 CDT 2007

I'm not quite sure what the jibe is about, Chuck.  Is it because of my
skepticism about 9-11 Truth?

As to arguing "about stuff that happened seven score and six years ago,"
I think Orwell had it right in Winston Smith's ruminations in 1984:

"...where did that knowledge exist? Only in his own consciousness, which
in any case must soon be annihilated. And if all others accepted the lie
which the Party imposed -- if all records told the same tale -- then the
lie passed into history and became truth. 'Who controls the past,' ran
the Party slogan, 'controls the future: who controls the present
controls the past.' And yet the past, though of its nature alterable,
never had been altered. Whatever was true now was true from everlasting
to everlasting. It was quite simple. All that was needed was an unending
series of victories over your own memory. 'Reality control', they called
it..."

Life, in its boring, predictable fashion, imitates art.  Reporter Ron
Suskind describes "reality control" in a conversation with a senior
adviser to Bush (Rove?) in 2002:

"The aide said that guys like me were 'in what we call the reality-based
community,' which he defined as people who 'believe that solutions
emerge from your judicious study of discernible reality.' I nodded and
murmured something about enlightenment principles and empiricism. He cut
me off. 'That's not the way the world really works anymore,' he
continued. 'We're an empire now, and when we act, we create our own
reality. And while you're studying that reality -- judiciously, as you
will -- we'll act again, creating other new realities, which you can
study too, and that's how things will sort out. We're history's actors
... and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do.'"

Why argue about stuff that happened long ago?  "The struggle of man
against power is the struggle of memory against forgetting," wrote Czech
novelist Milan Kundera.  "...totalitarianism ... deprives people of
memory and thus retools them into a nation of children...” -- a
reference perhaps to Cicero's "Not to know what happened before you were
born is to be a child forever." --CGE