[Peace-discuss] Help needed! canvassing &c. for Champaign City Elections (which are April 17)

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 11:31:14 CDT 2007

>From Esther:

We're meeting on Saturdays at 11:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. on March 24,
March 31, April 7 and April 14.    We're also meeting on Sundays:
3:00 p.m.on  March 25 and 2:00 p.m. on April 1.   Anyone who opposes
reversing the smoking ban or reversing the Section 8
non-discrimination protection in the Human Rights Ordinance, or who
wants to see systematic inspection of apartments or a citizen police
review board should show up to help at one of these times.

>From Danielle:

There are 3 open at-large seats on Champaign's City Council.  In the
primary election, the top 3 vote getters were conservatives which does
not bode well for the future of our community.  But the primary also
had abysmally low voter turn out - progressive voters simply didn't
get to the polls.  We need to make sure this doesn't happen again!

The City of Champaign is poised to become even more conservative if we
don't get out and organize.  The stakes are very real:

--> Citizen Review Board of the Police
--> Smoking ban
--> Apartment inspections to ensure tenant safety
--> Funding for the poorest of the poor through General Assistance
--> Opposing Housing Discrimination against those with Section 8 vouchers

ALL of these are supported by
Giraldo Rosales, Patricia Avery, and Annette Williams.

NONE of these things are likely to happen if their opponents win.

WE NEED YOUR HELP!
We have 4.5 weeks until April 17th!

Help Patricia Avery, Giraldo Rosales, and Annette Williams win City
Council races in Champaign.

We need: Door to door canvassers, phone callers, help with mailings,
donations, and Champaign residents to take yard signs.

HELP CANVAS:
Canvassing is fun. We do it in groups and provide full training.  You
can choose your neighborhood if you like.  You need not live in
Champaign - these issues cross city lines.  Please contact
chyn at ojctech.com if you can canvas any Saturday or Sunday until the
election.

Canvas times are:
Saturdays at 11 am  and/or  3pm
Sundays at 3pm

We leave from:
Democratic Headquarters,
14 East Washington Street in Champaign
(You need not be a Democrat to help - this is a non partisan race)

Please RSVP for canvassing: chyn at ojctech.com

HELP WITH MAILINGS OR PHONE CALLING:
Sign up at: http://champaigncountydemocrats.org/help#volunteer

PUT UP YARD SIGNS: