[Peace-discuss] Enlightened cynicism

n.dahlheim at mchsi.com n.dahlheim at mchsi.com
Wed Mar 28 13:25:07 CDT 2007

I would argue we need an enlightened cynicism.  We have been asleep at the wheel collectively for too
long.  The right to vote is a hard-won right, but every right comes with even greater responsibilities.  The
routines of life and the never-ending desire of this culture for material gain precludes the citizen
oversight of this massive unwieldy government of ours.  Without massively strong civilian oversight,
elected politicians, especially in national office, are basically worthless.  Corporations and their PR/
Lobbying firms have all the access and money to basically write policies.  Voting every 2-4 years does
nothing to change this situation nor does it address the extreme power differential that confronts us.
    We need to take stock of exactly how insane this society has become and how reified our collective
conscience has become if we are to gain a handle on exactly how we can survive much less fix this thing...