[Peace-discuss] Will the American people have a choice in 2008?

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 28 13:57:19 CDT 2007

And good riddance to Ron Paul
[http://senate.ontheissues.org/Ron_Paul.htm].

But I think the point is not necessarily to WIN the
presidency, but to INFLUENCE it.

In my opinion, supporting Dennis Kucinich is an
excellent way to do this for a serious peace and
justice movement.  Ralph Nader is another.

But I think ultimately what we must begin to take
seriously is our power as ordinary people, which goes
far beyond our (somewhat marginal) ability to vote -
that is, to cast the straw that breaks the camel's
back on one night in November.  Our strength is in our
numbers and our diverse backgrounds and in our
speaking up and stirring up trouble for the status
quo, when we choose to do it, to speak our minds and
vote with our feet and heads and hands all year round,
every year.  Our grassroots activism.

WE HAVE A CHOICE EVERY DAY!

Far too often, I think, the Left or Progressive
groups/individuals in the US begin negotiating over
how little we can get before the campaigns even get
started, much less the primaries or - god forbid - the
election!  We act like brokers - but with so little to
trade, because we have frittered it away.  So many of
us, who are pleased to call ourselves practical
people, fly out of the gate repeating what the most
mediocre campaigns/candidates are telling us we want
or can get.

But campaigns, candidates, and even presidents have
shown themselves to be much more responsive to a
mobilized electorate with a fire in its belly, that
makes demands, that tells THEM what WE want.

That's our choice.  Every election, every year, every
day.  We can pull or be pushed.

And, by the way, I've always loved George Carlin - I
remember when I was a kid and saw him stamping around
the stage making fun of the racism and the Freudian
machismo of shooting big phallic missiles over "always
to bomb the brown people".  And if he says the
American people are stupid (well, nobody ever went
broke...), I take that as his way of critiquing the
patritic hegemony, maybe chiding people into
questioning why we allow these things to happen.  I'd
count him on our side.  But he's not an organizer,
he's a comedian.  Sorry, but let's not get too serious
about his jokes, OK?

Ricky