[Peace-discuss] Seat at the table

Bob Illyes illyes at uiuc.edu
Wed Mar 28 15:25:39 CDT 2007

I think it was de Tocqueville who observed that the common man
behaved the worst when he felt disenfranchised, and that he was
at his best when he believed that he had a seat at the table.
The most critical thing to democracy, therefore, is the certainty
that each of us can make a difference. The real enemies are
cynicism and despair.

The thing we must bear in mind is that the people always have a
seat at the table, and it is the plan of the plutocrats to convince
them to the contrary. I'm with Ricky on this issue. We have a seat.
But we have to take it (it will not be offered to us) and ask those
who despair of any justice to join us, because they also have a seat.

Bob