[Peace-discuss] Voting

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 15:07:15 CDT 2007

At 01:03 PM 3/28/2007, Bob Illyes wrote:

>I grant you that the Wikipedia is not extremely reliable. The trouble
>is that nothing else is either. The error rate in any published
>material is rather high, and all must be taken with a grain of salt.
>In engineering, there's something called a handbook engineer, which is
>someone who believes everything in engineering handbooks is correct,
>and designs based on them alone. Stay away from things such a person
>designs.
>
>Does anyone know from what they consider a more reliable source, such
>as perhaps the books Marti mentioned, whether Mr. Carlin does in fact
>not vote?
>
>Of the folks who could register to vote, a third did not bother to
>register. This is an extremely hard-won right, yet this many folks
>are indifferent to it. I fear that the country is drowning in a sea
>of cynicism.

Or perhaps it is just some of us on this list who are drowning in a sea of
cynicism and despair.  As Carlin pointed out, fully HALF of the population
is EVEN STUPIDER than the average American.  And in a nation where MORE
than half, as N. Dahlheim has recently made us aware, cannot locate either
Iraq or Louisiana on a map, that's pretty stupid indeed.

There was a time when I was optimistic about America.  It seemed to be
moving forward in terms of civil liberties, environmental awareness,
etc.  I now get discouraged because I have lived through 27 years of the
most debilitating conservatism, during which time the nation has regressed
to an almost infantile state.  And by the time the "mess gets fixed", if
indeed it can be fixed, I will be dead.

Plus unlike most of you, I am not economically insulated from the whims of
our plutocratic rulers.  I can assure you that your own prosperity takes
some of the edge off of your cynicism, which becomes for you a largely
intellectual exercise.