[Peace-discuss] supplemental passes Senate without Webb amdmt; implications for postcards...

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 13:12:22 CDT 2007

The Senate passed its version of the supplemental this morning,
without the Webb amendment barring an attack on Iran, nor the similar
Sanders amendment. Neither was voted on. So that particular
legislative hook is gone. Of course, it's still quite appropriate for
people to write Congress to ask them to support Webb's legislation or
the Jones bill, or simply to say that Congress should prevent the
President from attacking Iran and threatening Iran militarily.

Pelosi promised the Out of Iraq caucus that the Iran provision would
be attached to future legislation. So these bills, which are stalking
horses for such a provision, are still relevant.

The danger of war with Iran is not gone, some recent press commentary
to the contrary notwithstanding, but it does make sense, I think, to
push real diplomacy, in addition to pushing no war.

Incidentally, the News-Gazette published my Iran letter a few Sundays
ago and the Iran public square commentary ran last Friday.