[Peace-discuss] Press Conference for Becket-Backed Courtwatching Study

Brian Dolinar briandolinar at gmail.com
Thu May 10 08:43:36 CDT 2007

The press conference to release the findings of the Courtwatching study was
yesterday, Wednesday, at the courthouse. Grandpa Wahlfeldt and I were
present from Community Court Watch to put the community spotlight on the
Beckett-backed Courtwatch study.

Ironically, a jury pool walked through the room as we were waiting for the
event to begin. There were only 4 African Americans in the pool. Beckett
later pointed to this group to say how they represent a diverse community.
Despite his attempts to put a positive spin on his findings, the racial
disparities are glaring.

The numbers collected were over a period from September to December in 2006.
Over 100 of Beckett's law students spent time watching court cases and
filling out questionnaires. The statistics showed the following:

In an average jury pool of 140 jurors, we would expect an average of 15
African Americans.

In Champaign County, out of 140 jurors, there was an average of 3 African
Americans.

In sharp contrast, in Champaign County 70% of defendants are African
American.

At least one of Beckett's students expressed doubt about justice in
Champaign County. This student was "skeptical" that black defendants could
get a fair trial in front of an all-white jury pool.

Beckett himself admitted this was a "significant disparity," but said, "I
don't know the explanation."
I asked whether the "continuous jury system," had improved racial
disparities in the jury pools. This system, began in the Summer of 2006, has
been much touted by State's Attorney Julia Rietz, Sheriff Dan Walsh, and
Presiding Judge Tom Difanis as a way to diversify jury pools. This is the
first year Beckett's Courtwatching study has collected numbers on this
"continuous jury system." Beckett said the low numbers of African Americans,
"remain the same."

BD
--
Brian Dolinar, Ph.D.