[Peace-discuss] "Give Peace a piece of the pie" -- anyone want to try visiting Tim Johnson's office tomorrow?

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Thu May 10 10:21:43 CDT 2007

The Dept. of Peace campaign (which I think is a fruitful idea) is urging activists
to go talk with their US Reps' offices on Friday, under the theme
"Giving Peace a piece of the pie".  I like this idea and would like to try it.

Probably Johnson himself won't be in C-U on Friday, but it might be
possible to meet with a staff person.  I just last evening talked a bit
with Karen Johnson, the state coordinator for the campaign.  She offered
encouragement and advice; she also mentioned Joy George, who grew up around C-U,
lives in Texas, but is visiting the area and will be here at least Thu and Fri.

Ms. George has been active in this Dept. of Peace campaign in TX, and would be
pleased to be part of a delegation to Johnson's office, but (as a non-constituent)
doesn't want to be the main person to do so.

Anyone else interested?  I could try to call the office today -- unless someone
else has already done that -- and see whether we can get an appointment.
Though I have never done such a thing before and am uneasy about it.

Some background materials:

   Tim Johnson's office is at 2004 Fox Drive (a little N of Devonshire) in Champaign; 217-403-4690.

   http://www.dopcampaign.org/  "What's New" link points to a Peace of the Pie page,

        http://www.thepeacealliance.org/content/view/346/1/

            ... with some printable materials: bill highlights,
            the full text of the US House bill H.R. 808,
            lists of co-sponsors, press clippings, etc.
	    I intend to print a couple of copies.

cheers

   Stuart Levy