[Peace-discuss] Fw: 4th of July Parade -- you'll LOVE this year's theme...

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Tue May 29 05:31:58 CDT 2007

Ricky makes the crucial point. If "enterprise" is seen as a jargonized
term for work, and work is understood as the exercise of our talents of
head and hands, then we all want to work freely -- we all want to engage
in free enterprise.  The ideal society is a free association of people
who use those talents to produce what they want.  The ideal of free
enterprise has been clearly expressed:

	FROM EACH, ACCORDING TO HER/HIS MEANS;
	TO EACH, ACCORDING TO HER/HIS NEEDS.

Instead, we have to rent ourselves to the owners of capital ("get a
job"), sell our talents of head and hands to those who control wealth
and power, so that they, not we, determine what we do.

So what the News-Gazette thinks free enterprise is -- a
corporate-controlled economy -- exactly denies free enterprise to all of
us.  Capitalism and democracy are contradictory: the latter says, "One
person, one vote";  the former, "One dollar, one vote."

Americans do think that free enterprise is an ideal, and they're right.
  We have to try to show that what they've been told is free enterprise
is however its contradiction:

	AMERICA SALUTES FREE ENTERPRISE, BUT
	FREE ENTERPRISE = DEMOCRATIC CONTROL
	OF THE ECONOMY, NOT CORPORATE CONTROL