[Peace-discuss] Unreported incident yesterday

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 1 12:35:16 CDT 2007

The Pakistani physicist and political commentator Pervez Hoodbhoy addressed Freshman U of I students in the Global Studies program, mostly or all James Scholars (from what I understand), yesterday (Wednesday) at Foellinger Auditorium. I'm not sure why this was not publicized--this is the same forum at which Kathy Kelly spoke. A bio from the Alternative Radio website and a link to an article is below.
  In any event, I've been told by an eyewitness that he was treated in a grossly disrespectful fashion--both ignored and disrupted by students coming onto the stage in Halloween costumes. In any event, apparently his message to students--that the U.S. should no longer act as global policeman, or worse--was of no interest to the vast majority of those present.
  This is disturbing and appalling. I have no idea whether there will be any repercussions, but this is just as bad if not worse than "blackface" and the Chief float. Among other things, it's just blatant racism for predominately white students of Judeo-Christian backgrounds to treat a Muslim Pakistani in this way. But equally bad, these privileged students have little or no political interest or curiosity. Our campus has become a cesspool of corporate and military liaisons, academic complicity, and cynical, bored students. This situation is happily facilitated by Richard Herman and the rest of the administration with all of their prattle about "diversity."
  David Green
  Pervez Hoodbhoy is professor of physics at Quaid-e-Azam University in Islamabad. He writes and lectures on South Asian issues. He appears on the BBC, NPR and Nightline. He is a frequent visitor to the US where he also gives talks as he did on this occasion at the prestigious Chautauqua lecture series in Upstate New York.
  http://www.zmag.org/content/print_article.cfm?itemID=13899&sectionID=1

http://mail.yahoo.com