[Peace-discuss] Ron Paul...

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Fri Nov 9 06:44:13 CST 2007

Kucinich (like e.g. Jesse Jackson) used to be opposed to abortion,
seeing poor women as victims and "choice" as a cruel joke, since they in
fact had little or none.

Abortion is a shibboleth of American politics, a distraction from the
usual shell game.  For all the pious protestations, nothing has actually
been done on the matter by those who proclaim themselves strongly pro or
anti.  Remember the Time magazine editor who said she'd give Bill
Clinton a blow-job for "keeping abortion legal"?

Given that most abortions are done for economic reasons (and not just by
poor women -- I recall friends who couldn't afford career-wise to leave
law school to have a child), it's clear that the best way to reduce
their incidence is universal medical care, guaranteed annual income,
eduction, housing, etc. --CGE