[Peace-discuss] on Kucinich and Paul

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 04:02:00 CST 2007

At 08:54 AM 11/15/2007, Karen Medina wrote:

> >   The German Chancellor is "elected", right? Hitler,
> >   too.
>
>This is what bothers me. A democracy should provide ways to "sack" an
>elected official when they turn out to be doing horrible things, like
>breaking international laws for instance.
>
>Impeachment is a safety valve for just such a situation.
>
>But so many Americans don't want to use the safety valve. Along the same
>lines, some people say that Bush is the Commander-in-chief of the military
>and must be followed, yet there is nothing that qualifies him to do the
>job, nor does he listen to the people who are qualified.
>
>So how has Bush established the untouchable status that no democratic
>leader should ever achieve? Is it through poor education of the masses
>(not necessarily of Bush as an individual) in the high school civics
>classes? Are we learning that you can fool lots of people for a very long time?

My understanding is that, while impeachment is indeed a safety valve (and
basically the ONLY safety valve) provided by the Constitution, it's such a
cumbersome process, consuming so much time and resources and yielding such
uncertain results, that the Congress is loath to use it.  As we see in the
present situation, BOTH Bush and Cheney would have to be impeached or else
impeaching Bush would leave us with Cheney as President, surely not an
improvement.

Though I don't fully understand how the process works in Great Britain, I'm
under the impression that it's much easier to get rid of a rogue Prime
Minister over there than under our system.

And yes, lots of people can be fooled for a very long time in America due
in large part to the secrecy of the executive branch.  Look at how Bush and
Cheney have been able to withhold critical information from even Congress
members.  It's ridiculous.  I've always been impressed, watching it on
C-Span, by how the Prime Minister in England must so frequently appear
before Parliament and explain himself, justify his/her actions.  And the
BBC, which if I understand it correctly is OWNED by the Brit government, is
MUCH more skeptical of its own government officials than are our
privately-owned media.

That's not to say that the Brits don't get fooled, too.  Ultimately most of
western civilization appears not to know what to do with these
"Islamofascists".