[Peace-discuss] News-Gazette - write our own reviews of events: Mother's Response to war!

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 04:28:18 CST 2007

At 10:18 PM 11/15/2007, Jenifer Cartwright wrote:

>But protests and other events with alternative viewpoints aren't social
>events, they're news. The NG is supposed to cover news, not shift the
>responsibility onto us/expect us to cover these by writing opinion pieces
>and letters to the editor. We can always do that in addition to their
>coverage, if we choose.
>
>JMHO,
>Jenifer

I hate to be the one to break this to you, Jenifer, but the "news" is
whatever the editor of the paper or the head of the TV station's news
department DECIDES is news.  This has changed to some degree over time -
mostly in an undesirable direction - but not drastically.  The aim has
always been to maximize profits - please the maximum number of
readers/viewers while not pissing off advertisers.

Look at what an obscene percentage of the national news is about the antics
and foibles and peccadilloes of our entertainment "celebrities" like Paris
Hilton and Britney Spears and Kanye West.  Watch ABC's Nightline
sometime.  While it grew steadily more "soft" during the tenure of Ted
Koppel, it has gotten absolutely awful since his departure.  Most of it,
especially its feature called "A Sign of the Times", is about what the rich
in America are doing - taking their pets to gourmet restaurants and
masseuses and psychotherapists, purchasing trendy deluxe "camping"
vacations to exotic ports of call with all the amenities, etc.  This stuff
is MUCH more important than how Iraqi civilians are living (and dying)
during the American occupation.  It is, in short, "the news".  And it's
another reason why so many Americans are fooled for so long, as Karen
Medina pointed out in another post.

The reason Independent Media Centers, including our own Urbana IMC, now
exist all around the country - indeed, around the world - is because
progressives/radicals decided, after the WTO protests in Seattle in 1999,
that if their own "alternative viewpoint" was going to get reported, they
were going to have to report it themselves.  Nothing has changed since then.

John Wason