[Peace-discuss] Greenspan on oil -- the rest of the story

LAURIE SOLOMON LAURIE at ADVANCENET.NET
Mon Oct 1 21:11:40 CDT 2007

I watched that same program; but I must have missed Greenspan saying
anything that resembled his feeling that Hussein's actions "indicated that
his agenda was to overthrow other regimes in the region and to take control
of all the oil in the middle east" [emphasis mine]. I do remember him saying
something along the lines of Hussein's actions appeared to indicate that his
actions would jeopardize the U.S.'s oil interests in the area.  There is a
difference between the two understandings of what was said. However, as I
said, I may have missed the portion you refer to.

I also do not agree with either of these viewpoints.  I do agree that it was
primarily about oil which was threatened by Hussein's no longer being the
compliant puppet of the U.S. like he used to be; but references to his
alleged agenda or believed to be agenda attributed to his actions to be mere
rationalizations for Greenspan's going along with the flow and projections
of what the U.S. policy-makers (like Greenspan) would have done if they were
in Hussein's shoes.