[Peace-discuss] Re: [Peace] Champaign City Council Votes 6-3 Against Section 8

Laurie at advancenet.net laurie at advancenet.net
Wed Oct 10 11:24:19 CDT 2007

Well just to prove that the City Council's propensity to ignore the
recommendations of its commissions that it does not agree with is not
discriminatorily directed to the Human Relations Commission or even the
Police Community Committee's recommendations, one should note that the
Champaign City Council also rejected the Liquor Advisory Board's
recommendations that they had worked on for over a year and even
suggestively hinted that that Board be abolished.

One really needs to recognize and accept the fact that except for some very
ideological issues in which the conservative establishment movers and
shakers (i.e., landlords, developers, commercial property owners, bars, and
the University) push for, the Champaign City Council rarely does anything
more than rubberstamp the recommendations coming from City Staff and the
City Manager.  Most of the population of the City of Champaign are content
to let the City Staff and elected officials getaway with relinquishing
control to the movers and shakers; in fact they even actively support and go
along with supporting these actions by their elected officials and the
unelected staff.