[Peace-discuss] Champaign City Council ignores commissioned recommendations

Karen Medina kmedina at uiuc.edu
Wed Oct 10 15:18:32 CDT 2007

Peace Discuss,

I agree with Laurie about the Chamapaign City Council and I think there is a real danger here. For these reports, the groups were specifically asked by the City of Champaign to look into these issues and come up with a recommendation. Perhaps this act of commissioning is being used as a stalling tactic. Even if it is not intentionally used in this way, stalling is the net effect: the public is asked to wait patiently. With the waiting, we run the risk of letting these important issues move lower on the public's "to do" list because there is not much to be done for an entire year. The stalling works against us, but the fruits of the stall are our best weapons.

We really need to make sure the public has access to these commissioned reports. The reports have been well thought out and the arguements well made; much better than any opposing arguments made by the City Council members. In fact, these reports are the very tool with which we can expose the faulty arguments of the members.

-karen medina