[Peace-discuss] Champaign City Council ignores commissioned recommendations

Laurie laurie at advancenet.net
Wed Oct 10 16:20:56 CDT 2007

I doubt it is a stalling tactic, although it very well could be; but to say
it is a deliberate stalling tactic gives too much credit for intelligent
rationality to the members of City Council and assumes that they engage in
any long range strategizing.

Despite the best intentions of the various boards and commissions in
Champaign (and some are made of good people and do good work), one has to
realize that for the most part the tasks, objectives, agendas, procedures,
and processes are dictated by the City Staff who are present at all the
meeting of the various boards and commissions and pretty much control things
that get taken up by them and what comes out of them.  The documents that
come out of board and commissions typically reflect the City Staff's
position which typically in not out of line with that of the Council who has
been well prepared by the staff so as to give the boards and commissions the
direction and tasks that the staff wants; it is only when the staff does not
do a good indoctrination that we get board and commission recommendations at
variance with the position of the Council and with the staff positions.

The reports and documents that come out of the boards and commissions are
only accepted and used if they back up pre-established policy decisions and
positions and can be used to justify and rationalize those policy decisions
and positions so as to further legitimize them as in line with public input;
otherwise, they are ignored.  As a result, they are not good tools for
exposing faulty arguments since neither the public officials or most of the
public pay any attention to the substance of any arguments or care if they
are faulty or not.  It is practical power and economic politics; it is not a
rational intellectual discussion based on logic and principles of good
empirical argumentation.

Probably, a more effective action would be to fill the council chambers with
members of the public who overwhelm the Council by filling the chambers with
members of the public lining up those members of the public to talk for
their allotted 5 minutes on each and every item on the agenda (leaving the
chamber after they give their five minutes so that other new persons waiting
outside the chamber can come into the chamber to speak for their five
minutes) such that they can get nothing done and are forced to postpone
decisions or stay all night long.  If you have 100 members of the public
doing this one each issue at every meeting of the council be it a study
session or a formal Council Meeting, the members of the staff and Council
will get the message and realize that as a matter of practicality they
cannot take up and decide issues independent of the public.  The members of
the City Council will have to keep the issue open until all the members of
the public get a chance to have their input or admit that they are not
permitting public input.  I am sure that this would cause very effective
disruption of business as usual.