[Peace-discuss] Rethinking Oct. 27

Wendy Edwards wedwards at uiuc.edu
Wed Oct 10 16:51:36 CDT 2007

On Wed, Oct 10, 2007 at 04:43:53PM -0500, Laurie wrote:

> That was a very good response.  Ironically, I agree that inaction is a form
> of action and there is no such thing as an innocent bystander.  Indeed,
> inaction can be frightening.  I just think that there are more effective and
> proactive actions that one could take and be more effective.  Disruptive
> civil disobedience, a willingness to stop business form being carried out as
> usual by the general public so as to piss them off, and even acts of
> violence against property might be more effective than marching with signs.
> Sometimes you have to become a monster to fight a monster.  Often the
> non-violent protests are only effective, if at all, because they are carried
> out against a background of disruptive and violent protests.

No, you really don't want to get into violent protests, even "violence
against property."  Vandalism will just make most people write protesters
off as nutjobs or criminals.  AWARE's Saturday demonstrations seem to
get attention without breaking the law, and well-written letters to the
editor also get noticed.

Wendy