[Peace-discuss] Rethinking Oct. 27

Laurie at advancenet.net laurie at advancenet.net
Wed Oct 10 23:31:01 CDT 2007

Wendy,

Please see my reply to Karen Medina as it addresses your response.

> Vandalism will just make most people write protesters
> off as nutjobs or criminals.

Most of those who are not inclined to support the protests to some degree
already are already writing of the protesters as nut jobs, criminals, and
engaged in treason. Those who are inclined to some degree to accept the
protesters and their protests as legitimate and having some merit typically
take them as part of the scenery and no more.

> AWARE's Saturday demonstrations seem to
> get attention without breaking the law, and well-written letters to the
> editor also get noticed.

Here we disagree.  I think you are being overly optimistic.  Besides is the
objective of the protests to get attention and noticed or to produce actual
concrete changes in policies, actions, and events. An auto accident gains my
attention and gets noticed by me and other motorists; but it does not mean a
thing if no one gets out of their cars to actually help the victims and
assist them in concrete ways.