[Peace-discuss] Laurie on rethinking Oct. 27

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Wed Oct 10 16:56:59 CDT 2007

On Wed, Oct 10, 2007 at 04:43:25PM -0500, Bob Illyes wrote:
> Laurie has it backward. It is the person who sits at home simply thinking
> about the grim state of the world who is engaging in "mental masturbation",
> or should we say autopoliticism? Next we should investigate the political
> pornography these sad cases consume. All sorts of conspiracy theories come
> to mind. Quick, Stuart, we need a list of the 10 characteristics (it always
> seems to be 10) of political pornography.

Very good.

Surely the first principle of power pornography is, "Resistance is futile."

Laurie, what puzzles me is that, if you feel the desire to act as a thorn,
you choose to be one in the side of people who are trying to act against
the same injustices you yourself oppose.  Don't we have enough fighting to
do without in-fighting too?   If you think that obstructive action
might be fruitful, why not try to organize some?