[Peace-discuss] Laurie on rethinking Oct. 27

Laurie at advancenet.net laurie at advancenet.net
Wed Oct 10 22:05:17 CDT 2007

> Laurie, what puzzles me is that, if you feel the desire to act as a
> thorn, you choose to be one in the side of people who are trying to act
> against the same injustices you yourself oppose.  Don't we have enough
fighting
> to do without in-fighting too?   If you think that obstructive action
> might be fruitful, why not try to organize some?

Stuart,

I hope seriously that you do not take this response the wrong way; but you
do not know what I am into, where and when I have been active, or whose
sides I am or have been thorn in.  Moreover, I do not feel compelled to
justify myself to you, to document my actions and activities, or to state
all the times, places, or people whose actions I have called into question,

In addition, I see no reason why those allegedly on the left who are or
claim to be against the same injustices that I myself oppose should be
treated with kid gloves and held exempt from criticism and challenge.  At
best, it keeps them honest and on top of their game; and at worst, it points
out the weaknesses and holes in their arguments and courses of action.

As far as I am concerned as a social critic, analyst, and commentator, all
sides and positions are open to being called into question rather than taken
for granted at face value and all positions are t o be treated as
problematic for purpose of examination and evaluative analysis.  No one gets
a free pass - be they on the right or the left, establishment or radical,
conservative or progressive.  None of us has a corner on the market of truth
and righteousness, correctness, and legitimacy.

In-fighting is a part of life and activism. To insist on there being no
diversity or critical challenge to one's position is to insist on conformity
and people becoming true believers on the left just like those on the right.
I do not think that is what you really want.  The elimination of diversity
and in-fighting is the approach that Stalin took on the left and resulted in
the termination of Trotsky and others just as, that Mao, also on the left,
took in the Cultural Revolution.  It was no different from what Hitler took
on the right or the US in the 1950 took with loyalty oaths, black lists, and
Un-American Activities hearings. Do you want radical activism or religion?

As for the last question, if I were to engage in obstructive actions, I
would do it as an individual and have done it as an individual. While my
actions have not always been as disruptive or effective as I would have
liked, many who have been on the receiving end of my actions have regarded
me as a royal pain in the ass and disruptive of what they wanted to
accomplish being achieved smoothly.

While organizing such actions on a mass group level can have advantages, it
is not always necessary to organize a group to undertake such actions. I am
not myself a good organizer or organization person.  In addition to this,
should I decide to undertake such activities, I would not put myself or the
actions in jeopardy by publically advertising what I intended to do or what
I am doing.  I would be doing it to be effective and not for personal or
other publicity or purposes of hype.  Secrecy and surprise are the hallmarks
of disruptive actions and their being successful.  So you may never know
what I do or do not do.  The list is for discussion and analysis not for the
planning of actual courses of action, the setting forth of strategic and
tactical practices, or the proclamations of one's intent.