[Peace-discuss] Re: [cu_citizens] Questions about Section 8

Laurie laurie at advancenet.net
Tue Oct 16 15:27:58 CDT 2007

I personally think that Chris's questions are excellent ones that someone
should bring up and ask the Champaign City Council tonight at the Council
Meeting.  I do not think that the asking of these questions will change any
votes; but it will put the questions on the record and put the Council
Members on the spot.  As such they may actually discuss the questions and
the possibility of giving answers to them; and they may even be forced to
respond if merely to rationalize and justify their votes.

Long term, John is right; but unfortunately looking for long run solutions
to the affordable housing problem is like looking for long term solutions to
the health care problem, the quality education for all issue, and/or the
provision of adequate, livable wage, non-"dead-end" job opportunities for
minorities and the poor problem.  It is not going to happen in capitalist
corporate Amerika, expect in the form of a series of small privately funded
demonstration projects.  The people of Amerika, unless it is happening to
them, would rather spend the money on police chasing and arresting the
homeless poor from their camps and the city sidewalks, streets, and
properties so as to keep them out of sight than on subsidizing the building
of affordable housing or the making of rental properties affordable to those
who need it without stigmatizing them.  They would rather give money to
build prisons to house the arrested homeless than to build living quarters
for them.