[Peace-discuss] Re: [cu_citizens] Questions about Section 8

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 16:14:19 CDT 2007

At 03:27 PM 10/16/2007, Laurie wrote:

>I personally think that Chris's questions are excellent ones that someone
>should bring up and ask the Champaign City Council tonight at the Council
>Meeting.  I do not think that the asking of these questions will change any
>votes; but it will put the questions on the record and put the Council
>Members on the spot.  As such they may actually discuss the questions and
>the possibility of giving answers to them; and they may even be forced to
>respond if merely to rationalize and justify their votes.
>
>Long term, John is right; but unfortunately looking for long run solutions
>to the affordable housing problem is like looking for long term solutions to
>the health care problem, the quality education for all issue, and/or the
>provision of adequate, livable wage, non-"dead-end" job opportunities for
>minorities and the poor problem.  It is not going to happen in capitalist
>corporate Amerika, expect in the form of a series of small privately funded
>demonstration projects.  The people of Amerika, unless it is happening to
>them, would rather spend the money on police chasing and arresting the
>homeless poor from their camps and the city sidewalks, streets, and
>properties so as to keep them out of sight than on subsidizing the building
>of affordable housing or the making of rental properties affordable to those
>who need it without stigmatizing them.  They would rather give money to
>build prisons to house the arrested homeless than to build living quarters
>for them.

You're absolutely right, and hence my weariness and frustration and
discouragement.  Amerika is a place where ever greater punishment is seen
as the solution to everything.  "If we can't get compliance, let's just
make the laws even MORE draconian.  And whatever we do, let's not address
the root causes of ANYTHING!"  Whoever coined the phrase, "The right to
life stops at birth" certainly had Amerika spot-on, and s/he wasn't talking
only about Republicans.

At the same time, I'm aware of churches in larger cities, for example, that
purchase blocks of apartment buildings, rehab them, and make them available
for low-income tenants or purchasers.  Then they plow the money back into
purchasing more units.  It can be done.  Where there's a will, there's a
way.  You call them "demonstration projects", but there's a point at which
demonstration projects could burgeon into a significant number of housing
units (and rehabbed neighborhoods).  I wish I had the business acumen and
the energy to make it happen.

And yes, Chris's questions ARE good ones.

John