[Peace-discuss] Re: [cu_citizens] Questions about Section 8

Laurie laurie at advancenet.net
Tue Oct 16 16:53:45 CDT 2007

John,

I have a friend, who with funding and association with the Catholic Church,
is an activist living in NYC, where he was involved in organizing poor in
various neighborhoods of NYC to occupy vacant city owned slum buildings and
put their sweat equity into remodeling those facilities into affordable, up
to code, co-op apartments for themselves to live in and own via the sweat
equity and moderate mortgage payments to the City.  He and another friend
acquired their own individual two apartments in a building on the Lower East
Side.  This other friend also, in another building, used this method of
homesteading and sweat equity to acquire and fix up a ground floor space as
commercial space in the form of a Juice and Jazz bar giving employment to
himself and a few other low income persons.

Unfortunately this idealized world began to come apart when the
neighborhoods having been cleaned up by the homesteaders became a popular
creative class location and valuable property.  Gentrification began to
result in the wealthy creative classes and speculators offering the poor
homesteaders more money than they had ever seen before to sell their coop
apartments.  Many of the resident low income persons began to sell their
properties in order to get this windfall of big money, figuring that they
could find a new residence with the money they got and have some to spare.
In-fighting among the coop members who wanted to sell and those who did not
tore the coops apart. The movement began to fail, the coops and other spaces
in the lower rent areas started to become gentrified, and those that sold
could not find any affordable places in NYC to replace their old coopt
apartments and were forced to move out of the City to NJ or were homeless
and on the streets again but this time without even slums being available
for them to rent at high but barely within reach rents.  The City began to
realize that it could make money from the condemned and government owned
properties by selling those properties to the creative class and developers
willing to speculate on the new found popularity of what traditionally were
commercial undesirable spaces; hence, it stopped cooperating by allowing
homesteading and sweat equity as methods for opportunities to own property.
The affordable housing stock disappeared along with the opportunities for
the poor to acquire any property of their own for their own living space.
Game Over.

By the end of the 1970's the era of residential and commercial homesteading
programs disappeared; the use of notions of sweat equity as a means of
making down payments and buying property became rare with those projects
which do use it being small in scale compared to the earlier period when
this was considered the way for government to go and to support on a much
larger scale.