[Peace-discuss] Anti-war legislation in Congress

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Wed Oct 24 11:30:45 CDT 2007

I have a large "IMPEACH" sticker on my car, above the "Ron Paul for
America" sticker.  But the question of who receives my vote for
president is of quite minor importance.  (The chance, e.g., of Illinois'
electoral votes going to anyone but the Democratic candidate is small --
  if not so small as the chance of Dennis Kucinich's being that nominee.)

Three quarters of Americans know that they cannot do anything really to
affect the political process -- that the presidential election is a
game being played by rich contributors, party bosses, and the media.
Its primary purpose is to give the illusion of democratic politics while
avoiding the real thing.  That's particularly evident in this edition of
the quadrennial quadrille, and the reason it started a year early:
there's a greater gap than there's been in a while between the views of
Americans (majority opposition to the war) and the (pro-war) policy of
the Republicans and Democrats.  The parties' PR has to sell a product
this year that Americans don't want, and the Democrats are the
designated hypocrites.

But I disagree with those (like Alex Cockburn) who think that
impeachment is a distraction for the antiwar movement, such as it is.
Impeachment is the archaic mechanism in our 18th-century constitution
(it's abandoned in more modern constitutions, like the British) for
checking the executive.  We have now a spectacle of an unchecked
executive continuing (and widening) a war in spite of the opposition of
the populace.  It would be much better if the rusty mechanism of
impeachment were available -- if, e.g., Clinton had been removed from
office.  (And he wasn't impeached "for sex" but for perjury and
obstruction of justice, of which he was guilty. As a practical matter,
of course, Gore as the incumbent in 2000 would probably have been able
to prevent Bush's becoming president.)

And there are historical examples of impeachment even after the accused
has left office -- which would be a worthwhile way of condemning Bush's
crimes.  But the Democrats continue covering them up.

I was promoting the "American Freedom Agenda Act of 2007" (H.R. 3835),
which the Democratic liberals should support but won't, because of the
role that they are actually playing.  --CGE