[Peace-discuss] An Editorial on Garden Hill's courtesy of the News Gazette

Marti tvchick at insightbb.com
Wed Oct 24 19:15:35 CDT 2007

As a resident of Garden Hills I may have to send off the letter that I was
in the process of writing after reading the article which appeared last
week.  Here is what appeared today with my comments inserted in brackets.
I'm going to make an effort to be more involved with the neighborhood
association since I now know when it meets. It took more than one phone call
and an email from my end to find out where and when the meeting is. Part of
the challenge in getting people involved is letting them know when stuff is
going on.

Jumping on problem is the best approach

Wednesday October 24, 2007

City officials in Champaign take a lot of hits for shortcomings in municipal
operations, so it's important to acknowledge their work when they jump
immediately on a problem.

[It's also important to point out when the News-Gazette screws up a story]

The city's response to crowds of youths obstructing traffic and making a
general nuisance of themselves earlier this year in the Garden Hills
neighborhood is a textbook example of how citizens want their government to
work. The solution was not just a prompt police response aimed at groups of
loitering youths, but one that also engaged neighborhood residents to
understand their concerns and offered friendly alternatives to the kids to
let them know that they were not perceived as the enemy.

[However if you take a group of white kids who are loitering in the parking
lot of a fast food restaurant - jumping in and out of moving vehicles -
blocking traffic - and being a general nuisance - the cops don't show up
when called]

That sort of comprehensive approach to a difficult and potentially
incendiary situation is just what was needed.

Topping off plans for the area is a decision to install new streetlights
along Hedge Road, an addition that will put the spotlight on what were dark
corners. Those up to no good prefer to operate in the shadows, and the
streetlights are expected to boost neighborhood safety.

[At the last neighborhood association meeting in Garden Hills it was clearly
stated that streetlights have typically been installed for flow of traffic
purposes. Hedge Road is unique in that it's being targeted for safety
reason. I can't help but wonder if this is another form of racial profiling]

However, the big issue was the crowds of kids, sometimes unruly, who were
gathering in the 1100 and 1200 block of Bradley Avenue. However innocent
their initial intentions might have been, unsupervised kids in large numbers
are a prescription for trouble, and there was trouble in the form of fights
and blocked traffic.

[The 1100 and 1200 block is the location of Joanne Dorsey homes. It's
interesting that these reports appeared after construction started on
Bradley Ave which has slowed traffic down and created obstacles for several
months now]

The city organized a task force made up of neighborhood residents as well as
representatives of several city departments and the park district. They
concluded that lighting was an issue and took steps to address it.

[What about the need for sidewalks, or a community center, or access to
jobs]

The police department created a four-member team, not just to patrol but to
go door to door, say hello, ask residents their concerns and see what they
could do to help.

[This team did not stop by my house and ask for my opinion.or that of my
neighborhoods as far as I can tell. That being said I do believe that
communication is important and engaging in dialogue with residents, the
city, and the police can be productive.]

It's important to remember that people who may be suspicious of police
generally often are flattered and pleased when an officer stops by to say a
friendly hello and ask about concerns. That sort of exchange allows each
party to see the other as a real person. It reduces suspicion. [How
patronizing is that]

The humanizing effect also was seen in the park district's effort to
establish a monthly recreational event where everyone could see and be seen.

[There are no monthly events going on in Garden Hillls. There are plans to
have '50 years of Garden Hills' celebration next year]

Bill Bland, a former mayor of Champaign and president of the Garden Hills
Neighborhood Association, gives high marks to all concerned for their
efforts to address the problems that developed. That's not to say that the
problems all have been solved and will never recur. But promptly addressing
the issue in a comprehensive manner has gone a long way to ease public
concern.

[Bill Bland is the new president of the Garden Hills Neighborhood
Association and I had the opportunity to meet him at the last association
meeting. The problem the Neighborhood Association faces is that it does not
adequately represent the demographics in the area. Most of the participants
who attend these sections often live north of Hedge Road and at most the
participant's number in the 20's. What is needed is for more people in
Garden Hills to start attending these meetings, myself included, and to let
a more comprehensive voice be heard]

  _____

Find this article at:
http://www.news-gazette.com/news/opinions/editorials/2007/10/24/jumping_on_p