[Peace-discuss] Mark Pera for Congress (IL-3) - support needed

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 05:55:21 CDT 2007

Yesterday MoveOn polled its members on whether it should back primaries
against Democrats who support Bush on the war.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2007/09/07/frustration-over-iraq-cou_n_63463.html
If the MoveOn Connecticut vote on Lamont v. Lieberman in 2006 is any guide,
the proposition should pass decisively.

If the proposition passes, the next question will be - which targets. I hope
that Illinois's Dan Lipinksi receives serious consideration, as it seems he
will, judging from the arguments at the link above. He represents a strongly
Democratic district on the western edge of Chicago; he voted this year for
the Iraq supplemental without conditions and against the McGovern withdrawal
bill, one of only 13 such Democrats nationally, and the only one in
Illinois.

He has a primary opponent, Mark Pera.
http://www.markperaforcongress.com/

It's much more likely that national progressive groups will take this on if
nearby progressives chip in now. Early Money Is Like Yeast, as they say.
There is a "Mark Pera for Peace" page on Act Blue:
https://actblue.com/page/markperaforpeace

I spoke with Mark Pera a few months ago. It turns out he has a son who is a
student at the U of I and he expressed a willingness to come down for an
event. Anyone interested...?