[Peace-discuss] The half-dead anti-war movement

Morton K. Brussel brussel at uiuc.edu
Sun Sep 9 12:52:54 CDT 2007

I disagree with Carl's propositions, and somewhat with Paul Street's.
I don't believe the "peace-movement" has been co-opted by the
Democrats. This is just frustrated talk with no firm evidence
presented except with reference to MoveOn.org and the politics of the
Democratic party, a party never associated with the real anti-war
movement as I perceive it. The major anti-war organizations that I
know about (UFPJ, ANSWER, many others that appear in my emails) are
still demanding a total end to the US occupation and war in/on Iraq,
now.

The basic problem as I see it is that the American populace, even
those now nominally "against the war", are not sufficiently enraged,
engaged, or hurt by Iraq events, and have been impervious to calls
for real militantcy. This public is annoyed by the "mess" of the war,
its mismanagement, but has not reached the level of anger required to
make itself heard effectively in the halls of power, and I suggest
that that is not the fault of those who are indeed enraged by
administration/government actions perpetrating our wars. What Carl
and Street are suggesting is really that the middle-of-the road (on
war issues) Democrats and independants are being manipulated by the
Democratic party leaders.

Yes, it is true that the Democrats seek to use the public annoyance
with the war (and other administration actions) for their own self-
serving political ends. And it is true that if in the next political
campaigns, the voting public has only a "choice" between Dems and
Pubs, then antiwar feeling will favor the Dems as somewhat more
critical of the war than the Pubs.

The problem of the anti-war movement is its inability to light a fire
under an irritated but immobile--nonmilitant public, and perhaps that
has led to discouragement and the consequences thereof. The inability
to light an adequate fire has been due firstly to the dampening
effects of the mass media, which ignores antiwar positions, and even
pushes what is happening in the middle east to its back pages while
headlining administration claims and diverting the public
consciousness. Secondly, the ineffectiveness of the antiwar forces is
due to a complicit political party system, Pubs and Dems. There is no
real opposition force in government, a so-called real loyal
opposition. This indicates a profound and fundamental faultline in
our system of government. Only a great upheaval can change this. The
Iraq war/occupation is not such an upheaval (yet).

--mkb

P.S. If Carl and Paul Street or others have suggestions as to how to
mobilize the public into an effective anti-war, anti-imperialist
stance beyond what they are already doing or trying to do, I would be
glad to hear it, and so would, I believe,  ANSWER or UFPJ and other
antiwar organizations.