[Peace-discuss] Durbin's dilemma

Morton K. Brussel brussel4 at insightbb.com
Sun Sep 9 23:29:15 CDT 2007

From:  http://www.alternet.org/waroniraq/61506/?page=1

Democratically Controlled Congress Stands on the Brink of Irrelevance
on Iraq

By Joshua Holland, AlterNet. Posted September 6, 2007.

…As Dick Durbin, the senate majority whip, told the Chicago Tribune,
"When it comes to the budget, I face a dilemma that some of my
colleagues do." He opposes the war, but "felt that I should always
provide the resources for the troops in the field."

That mean throwing good money (and lives) after bad. Here's the
reality of the "surge":

     * Iraqi civilian and U.S. and Iraqi military and police deaths
are up.

     * The Iraqi government is tottering, and there is credible talk
of an impending coup.

     * The Iraqi people, still without regular electricity and water
and fearing for their lives whenever they go out to buy groceries,
want the United States out.

     * 40 percent of the middle class has fled the country.
…