[Peace-discuss] Restore Habeas Corpus

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Thu Sep 20 12:29:55 CDT 2007

On Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 12:16:44PM -0500, Laurie at advancenet.net wrote:
> One could be glib and say "give up and sit back and enjoy the destruction
> and coming extinction of the human species and planet."  It is a very
> alienated and anomic response; but it may be the only reasonable response in
> an irrational world made up of humans.  You could be a Don Quixote type of
> figure who continues to fight the good fight for the sake of fighting the
> good fight even though you stand no chance of winning; but in the words of
> Sancho Panchas, "whether the stone hits the pitcher or the pitcher hits the
> stone, it is going to be bad for the pitcher."

Well... a year or so ago on WEFT, as I think Aaron and Carol were
interviewing Mayor Laurel Prussing, she mentioned her mosquito
theory of political action.  You just keep beating your body
against the screen, and mostly get nowhere, but once in a while
there's a hole just big enough to squeeze through...
(and then I suppose you get a chance to be a pest, though
she didn't go that way).  I love this.

Granny D has said much the same thing -- that openings are rare,
but we must keep working and be ready for them, as when they
arise we can make an enormous difference.

I absolutely subscribe to this theory.  Its corollary is that
hopelessness is a great way to support the forces of oppression.

   Stuart