[Peace-discuss] Restore Habeas Corpus

Laurie laurie at advancenet.net
Thu Sep 20 14:01:06 CDT 2007

Well, I guess it all depends on how one wants to generate their personal
pleasures and pains.  Your approach is your approach and I will not deny you
engaging in it; but it is not mine.  Nick said that he was getting
frustrated using that approach; I offered my approach as an alternative.
Being a cynic and pessimist who does not like to waste energy on lost causes
or extreme long shots as a matter of principle, I find that when something
nice does happen I am pleasantly surprised; whereas if I were an optimist
and one who is willing to beat one's head against a wall looking for that
tiny hole, I would be constantly disappointed and frustrated to the point
where it would not be good for my mental health or sunny disposition. :-)

While hopelessness and inaction may very well support the established order
and result in strengthening the forces of oppression, ineffective optimism
also supports the continuance of the established order and does nothing to
hinder the forces of oppression; it also leads to personal frustration and
depression which will plague and oppress the optimist on a personal level so
as to render that optimist mentally castrated and physically exhausted.  The
burn-out from engaging in intellectual and ritualized exercises that rarely
produce anything of consequence is dysfunctional activism.