[Peace-discuss] N-G letter attacks Lancet study

Laurie at advancenet.net laurie at advancenet.net
Thu Sep 20 22:59:22 CDT 2007

Stuart,

> Estimates of many hundreds of thousands dead in Iraq -- excess deaths,
> of people dying at rates much higher than before our 2003 invasion -- are
> widely dismissed.  Those inclined to disbelieve them should read them:

The letter is a good one; but unfortunately those who are inclined to
disbelieve them or what you have written are not likely to Google the
studies or read them - much less change their minds.  You are attacking
belief system and not merely disputing facts.

> How would we feel if an invading country, even one claiming to save us
from tyranny,  > had such an effect in the US?

We would be hypocritical and respond with irrational violence, resistance,
defiance, and rebellion just as the people of Iraq are doing, claiming that
our actions are legitimate while their similar actions towards us are
illegitimate; we would hate them and carry that hatred for decades after the
incidences has passed into history (just look at attitudes revolving around
the US civil war and Vietnam) just as the Iraq population might.

> Can our consciences bear this burden?

For those whom you are attempting to persuade, this does not even enter
their consciences so it represents no burden to them. It is the old story of
"when it happens to them, it is comedy; when it happens to me, it is
tragedy."