[Peace-discuss] Re: The Power of Ten

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 15:12:32 CDT 2007

At 12:31 AM 9/24/2007, Robert Naiman wrote:

>It doesn't mean anything unless you know what the other responses in
>the poll were.
>
>Some polls just give a few responses, because they want to classify
>people as e.g. supporting the war, or opposing it.
>
>Others allow a broad range of responses, because they're trying to get
>at shades of opinion.

As I understood the "poll", it was just a yes-or-no question.  "We (the
U.S.) should keep our troops in Iraq and finish what we started."  Yes or no.

Drew Carey went on and on about how they asked a broad cross-section of the
population - young and old, Republican and Democrat, people with relatives
serving in the military, etc.  Beyond that, I don't know anything about
their statistical sampling methods.  I just thought the result was
interesting, and unexpected.

>The answer might be 13%. That would be really good news - unless there
>were other responses like "we should massively escalate," etc.

No other responses.  Just "We should keep our troops in Iraq and finish
what we started."  Yes or no.

The female contestant guessed that between 17% and 37% of those polled said
"Yes."  Like Laurie and Shirley, I thought she might be just a tad low.  I
was thinking her answer (she was given a 20 percent spread) should be
between 30 and 50 percent, because I thought that just under half, like
maybe 40%, would say "yes".

And the correct answer was....

(drum roll, please)....

Only 12% of those Americans polled thought that we should keep our troops
in Iraq and finish what we started.  Bob must have watched the
show.  :-)  Presumably 88% said either "no" or "no opinion".  Drew didn't
go into detail about the breakdown there.

At any rate, our tricameral, checks-and-balances government is failing us
big-time.

John