[Peace-discuss] War crime

Morton K. Brussel brussel4 at insightbb.com
Wed Sep 26 23:40:52 CDT 2007

It never occurred to me that that the meaning of hypocrisy should be
be applied to history. I usually apply it to the statements of people.

On Sep 26, 2007, at 6:02 PM, Laurie at advancenet.net wrote:

> While I am not going to question the
> originator of the quotes and say that Jackson made them
> hypocritically; I
> will say that the substantive meaning and significance of the
> statement in
> light of history is hypocritical and serves to cover up the fact
> that in the
> real world might does tend to make right in real politics and the
> spouting
> of moral platitudes and absolute transcendental standards does not
> change
> that empirically.

Why should my cynicism have bounds?  Are you suggesting that I should
play
the role of Candide and go around saying and believing that we live
in the
best of all possible worlds?

Moreover, I would say that cynicism is not the same as skepticism
(which I would agree is vital for a thinking rational person), so
your allusion of Candide seems far off the mark.
Cynicism" ("unbounded", no less!) for me implies a destructive
pessimism, not allowing for honesty or sincerity on the part of others.
In fact, the Oxford dictionary defines a cynic as one "who
sarcastically doubts or despises human sincerity or merit." It also
gives the quote from Meredith (which I suppose you would reject),
that "Cynics are only happy in making the world as barren to others
as they have made it for themselves."

We are playing with words.

  --mkb