[Peace-discuss] Quit the Party

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 00:28:40 CDT 2007

At 08:20 PM 9/28/2007, Jenifer Cartwright wrote:

>Uh.... that's how we got George W Bush. Dems aren't great (understatement)
>but no evidence Gore was poised to attack Iraq. Voting our conscience
>instead of the lesser of two evils doesn't affect the average independent
>voter all that much, but it sure as hell affects the rest of the world,
>foreign and domestic.
>
>Jenifer

Good Lord, I was just asking a question about how primaries work.  But I
hope we're not disinterring that old tired argument about third parties
being "spoilers".

We got George W. Bush - twice - because of massive election fraud by
Republicans, pure and simple - Florida in 2000 and Ohio in 2004 - which
went unchallenged by pusillanimous Democratic contenders and which was
upheld (in 2000) by the reactionary Rehnquist-dominated Supreme Court.

Third-party challengers - IF they're allowed to participate in the election
process, for God's sake - serve many useful purposes, among them to force
Democrats to take stronger stands on issues than they might otherwise.

Naw...I refuse to take responsibility for Dubya's "victory".  If I voted
for Nader I'm a bad guy.  If I stayed home and didn't vote at all I'm a bad
guy.  I'm not allowed to have a conscience; without even knowing the
results in advance, I'm expected to vote for "the lesser of two
evils".  Bullshit.

Just out of curiosity, though:  Who, pray, is the "lesser of two evils"
this time?