[Peace-discuss] Quit the Party

Laurie at advancenet.net laurie at advancenet.net
Sat Sep 29 20:21:27 CDT 2007

The point of the boycott is not change the politicians (nothing short of
physical threat or the strong possibility of not being re-elected will do
that); it is to undermine the legitimacy of the election process as it
manifests itself in the U.S.  Of course, I am not stupid enough to believe
that a few people engaged in a boycott will undermine or even call the
legitimacy into question; it will take a significantly news worthy sized
vocal group, which probably will take nurturing and time to establish as
well as money just as third party campaigns and any movement takes.

It is true that in the U.S. only 10% of the citizenry vote and that has no
impact on the politicians. We are only counting those who actually vote as
voting and ignore those who may not vote because they do not like any of the
candidates or find the process flawed.  Such people are casting their vote
against the system with their feet so to speak.  They are the "Do not Know"
or "N/A" answers in surveys, which are dropped from the count when doing the
analysis and coming to conclusions.  Moreover, those in the 90% who do vote
rarely celebrate it as a cause and rallying point for mobilizing others to
do the same.  But, unfortunately, in the U.S., most of those who do not vote
do so out of apathy which does not actually question the legitimacy of the
election process.

Boycotting taxes probably will not be effective either in changing the
politicians and their politics.  It will probably attract more participants;
but the politicians and officials along with other establishment powers that
be will find other ways to raise the money they want and need for their
purposes while cutting spending on programs that do not impact them like
welfare programs, health programs, etc.