[Peace-discuss] Here is an idea

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 12:10:10 CDT 2007

It's quite true that it's not necessary to abolish the Electoral
College in order to ensure that the winner of the popular vote is
elected President. Under the Constitution, states can allocate their
electoral votes however they wish; they can allocate them to Mickey
Mouse. They can allocate them to the winner of the the national
popular vote. There is actually a project underway, the National
Popular Vote project, to get state legislatures to do the latter. Note
that this is different from distributing its electoral votes
proportionately, but the overall result would be the same, if all
states did it. The key issue is states moving collectively; if just a
few states move, the effects could be perverse (cf. current Republican
efforts in California to enact by referendum allocation of electoral
votes by Congressional District - which, if is is adopted unilaterally
by California and survives court challenges, could have the perverse
effect of making it more likely that the winner of the popular vote
would lose.) The NPV gets at this by only going into effect when it's
been passed by a group of states that account for a majority of
electoral votes. According to an article by in the October 1 Nation by
Rob Richie of FairVote, it's been passed by at least one house of
several state legislatures, including Illinois, and Maryland has fully
enacted it.

Richie says polls show 70% support a national popular vote.