[Peace-discuss] Here is an idea

Laurie at advancenet.net laurie at advancenet.net
Sun Sep 30 16:53:32 CDT 2007

> The more populous states would have more electoral power (as they do
> now), but only to the degree to which they have more people - it's not
> obvious why this isn't fair. An additional vote in one state would
> count just as much as an additional vote in any other state - unlike
> the current system.

It is true that the current system gives more electoral votes to the more
populous states; but I question the fairness of that as well and see no
point in replace an unfair system with another similarly unfair system. It
is not obviously unfair if one uses a majority rule's principle in which
there can be and often is tyranny of the majority.  The Constitution
recognizes that minorities have to be protected from tyranny of the
majority. Any popular vote results in any given vote as being equal to any
other given vote it is true; but if one weights those votes by
differentiated them in terms of states where they represent a vote for an
Elector from that state and not directly for the candidate in which the
Electors will all go in a all or nothing way to candidate that gets the most
votes on a national basis you render the expression of local needs and
bargaining power totally meaningless since the Electors will no longer
represent the voting results of their state but of the nation and they will
not be proportionately distributed among the contenders in proportion to
their vote in the state but distributed in a zero sum fashion.  Hence a
state with 3 Electoral votes will not be able to cast 1 vote for each of 3
different candidates but would have to cast all 3 votes for a single
candidate.

> It's true that the national popular vote, which is about electing the
> president and vice president, does not incorporate proportional
> representation. But that's true of any scheme for electing a single
> executive officer - at the end of the day, it has to result in a
> single winner, and in that sense, at the end of the day, it's going to
> be "winner take all," regardless of the intermediate steps to get
> there..

That is true only if we were not talking about a system in which the
citizens were expressing preference for or voting authority to a set of
Electors (typically more than one in the set for each state) and not
directly for the candidate for a single executive office; the Electors then
cast their votes for the candidate.  There is no reason why the voting for
the Electors could not be proportionally allocated in terms of the local
state popular votes in that state with the electors then casting their
assigned vote for their designated candidate for the single executive
office. It is also true if the only concern was with the final winner
ignoring issues concerning the attribution of legitimacy and support to the
winner and his platform. The system you described is not a direct popular
vote system form what you have said but employs the Electoral College
system; it also allocated the electoral votes of a state in accordance with
who wins the national popular vote.  Thus it becomes an acclamation process
in which the winner comes away being able to claim a mandate from all the
voters that did not exist should he have won by a very slim plurality over
each of the other contenders taken individually or by a 51% national popular
vote.

> One could, however, incorporate the plurality/majority concern
> through an instant-runoff/preference voting scheme, guaranteeing that
> the "winner" would have a majority in some sense, rather than just a
> plurality.

This is interesting but it would create an artificial and forced majority as
well as probably run the costs of elections up for the tax payer, generate
confusion and more apathy and distrust of the election, and still not give
any legitimacy to any claims at having a mandate.  In some senses this is
like the old cumulative voting that they use to have in Illinois for State
Representatives.  It serves to guarantee that in every district both of the
two major established political parties would hold at least one seat and be
represented in that district in the State House.  It made for safe seats.  I
am not sure what would be the substantive purpose of such a thing as that or
what you are proposing for a single executive office to be held by a single
person except to give the artificial appearance of majority support for the
person.  Interestingly, Illinois also had an election where all the
legislative offices were voted at-large because the state could not come up
with an acceptable apportionment plan in time for the election.  It was
messy, costly, and the winners represented no one in particular and could
not be held accountable by anyone in particular.  They never had another one
of those elections.  Your national popular vote proposal would be somewhat
similar to that at large election which enables winners to claim a state
wide mandate to do whatever they pleased and justify the claim by pointing
to the at-large vote.