[Peace-discuss] Tuesday, Annual Township Meeting, April 8, 2008 - arrive early

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Thu Apr 10 10:36:37 CDT 2008

But what we wanted to point out was that our Congressional representative had
come round to our point of view.  The principal reason Johnson did that was that
he knew it was the majority opinion of his constituents (despite what local
media imply).

This was in fact the weakest and gentlest of the anti-war referenda we've
proposed.  Withdrawal, impeachment and habeas corpus for prisoners -- what we
proposed and passed before -- are all things our congressman and senators ran
from.  But all three supported the vetoed anti-torture bill.  The referendum
would have simply advised them that the voters supported what they'd done.

And what can you mean about "questioning the legality" of the whereas-clause?
It merely specifies the occasion for the referendum question:

*WHEREAS our representative to the federal congress has voted in favor
	of a an anti-torture bill (vetoed by the chief magistrate),
  SHALL he and our senators be urged to renew their efforts to pass such a bill?*

	--CGE