[Peace-discuss] Tuesday, Annual Township Meeting, April 8, 2008 - arrive early

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 12:11:09 CDT 2008

At 08:22 AM 4/10/2008, Karen Medina wrote:

>Miserable failure is a good description.
>
>In Urbana, all 3 referenda failed -- blocked by the Democrats who showed
>up en force specifically to block the Instant Runoff Voting but then also
>blocked the other two (water municipilization and transparency of local
>government spending).
>
>In Champaign, only 1 success -- transparency of local government. The stop
>torture referendum made it to agenda (3/5ths of 73), but then was crushed
>(did not get 1/2 of 73)-- which took us off guard. The municipilation of
>water never had a chance. Rumors were that the water company was the group
>that huddled there, but there were people spread out who I have no idea
>where their loyalties might be.
>
>For the torture referendum (the only one that was ours), we should have
>been better prepared for changing the wording (which would have been easy
>enough). They really took us by surprise by adding it to the agenda and
>then voting it down.
>
>Mark it up to a learning experience.
>
>IRV was the hardest hit. The others were painful. But IRV sets  democracy
>way back.
>
>-karen medina

Thanks very much, Karen, for taking the time.  Thanks also to Jenifer for
the initial summary.

Personally, I think IRV is a tough sell.  I myself have been trying to
comprehend it in its various permutations for years, largely without
success.  Therefore I couldn't explain it satisfactorily to anyone else.

Municipal ownership of utilities, on the other hand, would seem to be a
complete no-brainer.  The Prairie Greens did a study of municipal utilities
a few years ago, and it's all upside and no downside.

But then, all of this is ultimately about politics and not common
sense.  If the water company had sufficient shills there...well, that's the
name of that tune.

I'm sorry I couldn't be there.

John