[Peace-discuss] Estimate of Obama

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Fri Apr 11 14:53:06 CDT 2008

[The following came across my virtual desk: it seems to me about right. --CGE]

"I think he's basically presenting himself as a blank slate, on which you can
write your wishes.  Hard to find much to be hopeful about.  He is energizing a
lot of young people, but I don't see much reason to expect that for that reason
his presidency would be more responsive to public pressure.  Overwhelmingly, the
public believes that the government should be responsive to public opinion.  But
that's such an unpopular elite view that the press won't even report the polls
showing this.  A more realistic possibility, perhaps, is that those who are
energized by the candidacy will devote the energy to something constructive
after the likely disillusionment."

	###