[Peace-discuss] Legislature is suppressing advisory referenda

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 15:04:34 CDT 2008

At 01:51 PM 4/13/2008, Karen Medina wrote:

> >So who exactly is the "town board"??  The city council of Champaign or
> Urbana?
>
>In Champaign, yes. I'm not that sure about Urbana (Cunningham Township).
>
>The City of Champaign Township is co-terminus with the City of Champaign.
>The town board (trustees) is the city council. There are only about 20
>co-terminus townships in the state of Illinois, which has over 400 townships.
>
>In the past there has been far too much joking about taking off their
>Champaign city hats and putting on their township hats -- I found it too
>much joking because they never really looked at any issue as if looking
>from a township perspective.
>
>-karen medina

Thank you, Karen.  I have long found it terribly confusing, why America
needs so many "layers" of government, with so much overlap.  All it does is
make things terribly complex and inefficient, as each governmental body has
its own laws and rules and procedures.  Creates more income for lawyers, I
suppose.