p.s. Re: [Peace-discuss] Re: Urbana City Council meeting last night -- what's in a name?

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 16 16:34:09 CDT 2008

By the way, I meant to add ...

I have also seen one or two of the videos in question.  The ones I saw really were
shockingly racist (and I've been chased by the Klan) - even without David Duke in the
ones I saw.  And I was afraid someone would propose limits on UPTV as a result.  If I
didn't know Mr. Brumleve somewhat, I'd suspect that might have even been part of the
plan.  These things are just that crude.  I wouldn't support suing him for it (altho
perhaps paradoxically I also don't think I'd support legal blocks to such a suit) - not
only on grounds of compassion, for a truly disturbed and needy individual, but also,
you know, on pretty basic free speech grounds.

If you haven't seen these disgusting things, just so you know, even if you have your
doubts about so-called 'hate speech', these are not THREATENING speech, at least not
what I saw.  They're lies, of course, and they're racially prejudiced and as such
stupid.  Since when is it illegal to be stupid?

I have also seen rabid Zionist propaganda on UPTV, as well as innumerable excellent
programs featuring well reasoned argument, and all kinds of other stuff.  No, I don't
watch it all the time.  But it's a resource worth defending, especially in this day and
age of corporate-government media.

I have to say, in closing, I find it a bit hard to take Carl's defence of free speech
totally seriously, given his one-time threat to sue the 'Public i' for having the
unmittigated gall to EDIT one such as himself (the nerve!).  Otherwise I agree with
what he has said so far here, as I do about 95 percent of the time.  I agree with David
Green, too, mostly, as I usually do, except that I'm not sure that condemnation of
these Brumleve videos is related to any Zionist plot.  Who knows?  It may be.  But even
if it's some of the same folks, well, a stopped clock is right twice a day, no?

Anyway, I'm glad that we can at least discuss these things without being sued.  Or
having our server shut down for allowing us to say these things, etc.

Ricky