[Peace-discuss] Seminar

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 18:38:28 CDT 2008

At 02:33 AM 4/22/2008, you wrote:

>When a cop tells me to pull over, or airport security tells me to step out
>of line, I usually continue on my way (guardedly) until I'm sure they
>really do mean me (since I've done nothing wrong). But when I'm sure they
>DO mean me, I stop and do as they say... and I'm sure everyone on this
>list does too (if for no other reason than we know refusal to comply will
>not mean the subject is dropped). I'm a law-abiding citizen (mostly) and
>I've always assumed the police have the right to stop me if they believe
>something's amiss... but do they really?? What DO the police have a right
>to tell us to do?? And to do to us as a follow-up if we ignore them??
>(Chpgn and Urbana police appear to be in absolute agreement). And what (if
>anything) do we have a right to ignore or refuse to do?? I'd really like
>to know the legality of this, what's really on the books.
>  --Jenifer

Here are several links that are at least somewhat on point:

http://www.public-defender10-fl.org/police.html - "Police Encounters", from
the Office of the Public Defender, 10th Judicial Circuit of Florida

http://www.legal-info-legale.nb.ca/showpub.asp?id=157&langid=1 - The Law,
The Police and You: Your Rights When Questioned, Detained or Arrested"

http://federalism.typepad.com/crime_federalism/fourth_amendment_searches_and_seizures/index.html
- "The Fourth Amendment's 'Reasonable People'" - 5th article down on the
left hand side

http://www.erowid.org/freedom/police/police_consent1.shtml - "Guidelines
for Saying 'No' To Police Searches"

http://www.charityadvantage.com/CUAPB/KNYPoliceEncounters.asp  - "Know Your
Rights: Police Encounters and Arrests", from the Minnesota Chapter of the
National Lawyers Guild © 2003

I'm sure there are others.  I googled "when the police tell you to stop".

John Wason