[Peace-discuss] Re: [Peace] "Iraq and Recession" press conference noon today (Thu), IDF, Springfield & Wright

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Thu Apr 24 13:28:33 CDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 11:36:52AM -0500, C. G. Estabrook wrote:
> Suppose the German anti-war movement had the freedom to operate that we do,
> and they chose in 1943 to mount a campaign with the theme "The War is
> Costing Too Much"...  --CGE

If they'd succeeded, I'd have been happy to cheer them on.

If the US falls apart as a result of these ruinous & immoral
policies, future mainstream historians may well look on us as we look
now on the Third Reich.  We have that luxury now because the Germans
had to admit defeat, and were judged by those who defeated them.
But if the US survives this, who will get the chance to look at us
that way?  Or better, when will that widespread judgement come?
Until then we can still expect that many people will oppose war as
an economic burden, even if too few see it as a burden on their
consciences as well.

When Derrick Jensen spoke here a few months ago -- talking about
the essential violence and essential unsustainability of industrial
civilization -- one of his comments was that he suspects Bush & co.
are closet Luddites.  How could they have been more diligent
in hastening our downfall?