[Peace-discuss] Re: [Peace] "Iraq and Recession" press conference noon today (Thu), IDF, Springfield & Wright

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Thu Apr 24 14:10:31 CDT 2008

I'm not so sure.

The Third Reich didn't fall apart from the economic effect of its war policies.
  Just the opposite: it was German rearmament after 1933 that saved Germany from
the worst of the Depression.  It took the US until the end of the decade to
catch on.

The New Deal never solved the Depression (of course it was forced by popular
pressure to do some good things) -- only war spending after 1940 did that. (It
also produced the Great Fear in American planners after the war: since war
spending ended the Depression, the end of the war meant the return of the
depression; the only solution was continued preparation for war.)

What economic health the Bush II era has enjoyed may be due to Iraq war
spending.  You know that, absent 9/11, the president and Congress would not have
  spent anywhere near so much money on anything else, especially not anything
worthwhile.

It is true that there's an argument about diminishing returns in this "military
Keynsianism"  -- for one thing, a greater tranche is non-domestic than was the
case 60 years ago -- and there's all sorts of other reasons to condemn how the
current administration has and hasn't spent money.  But it's at least not clear
that current war spending is economically ruinous for the US.

The liberal argument against the Vietnam War, 40 years ago, was that of course
it was a good idea if it could be done, but it was costing too much.  I didn't
think much of that argument then, and I don't now. --CGE